Thursday, May 29, 2014

MP-8 Grimlock (Asia Exclusive), MP-17 Prowl, 1987-90 Transmanual

It's 6am and here I am, taking these pictures because our baby just finished her morning bottle and has decided that it's time to not go back to sleep.  So it's her off to her baby swing and me taking the only time I'll probably have today to squeeze these pictures in.

In my previous post (click HERE), I had shown everything wrapped up still, so these are the items that just arrived from TFSource.com



Click (HERE) if you would like to see what this set is selling it for at TF Source.

First off, you probably could have guess from the big box in my previous post that this was probably one of the figures that had arrived.



www.blogtransformers.com
MP-8 Grimlock (Hasbro)
This is the other MP Grimlock that I have.  I have never preferred the Hasbro packaging over the Takara; the only plus side of the Hasbro version being that you can actually display the figure somewhat without having to remove it from the packaging.  My biggest peeve being that you get none of the fantastic box artwork that comes with the Takara sets.  When the time comes, this will most likely be the version that I open up.



Like I said, you don't get any of this with Hasbro.  You'll have to excuse the shine since this box is still wrapped up in plastic……have I mentioned before how much I love TF Source's packaging.



Grimlock's flappy gums.

Accessories included with this set

Me Grimlock no need brains! You take!
As seen in the episode "Grimlock's New Brain", where he transferred his newly-acquired intelligence to his creation, Computron.



The eyes in both the robot head and the dinosaur head can be switched between blue and red, depending on whether the owner prefers a look more consistent with the U.S. cartoon or the original Diaclone toy.



While the robot mode's left hand has fully articulated fingers, only the wrist and the thumb of the right hand are articulated. This is due to a lighting gimmick in the right hand which illuminates the blade of the sword or the barrel of the gun when placed in this hand and activated by a switch on the toy's right shoulder. 

Head and tail articulation


Bonus Crown

Flame Sword Add-On






The Transmanual is the essential guide book to collecting American Transformers. Each book is a full color handy reference guide to identifying not only all Transformers released in the U.S. but also all the parts that go along with them, any variations you may locate, and other handy information such as character stats, quotes, and more.


Of course, shortly after I had purchased the MP-8 Grimlock they announce they are coming out with the cartoon accurate version (below).  A little frustrating? Most definitely.  But I think the bigger question is, unless you are a completionist, is it worthwhile now to jump the gun and buy the first production run of any new Masterpiece figures that come out  now?  Especially with fans now demanding to have the option of


having every single portrayed version of the character (comic, TV, movie etc.)  If I had know I may have waited for this latest Grimlock, though the high price may have played a factor, I really have to ask myself, "How many different colored moulds of the same character do I really need?"  In the end, mainly due to having two MP Grimlocks already, I'm going to pass on this guy.

Overall, I was happy to get this delivery from TF Source; though I still have plenty with them on preorder still waiting to come in; MP Wheeljack, Bumblebee, Ultra Magnus, G2 Sideswipe, Soundblaster and Red Alert.

......Let's just hope they don't come out with some new colour variant of these guys or I'm going to be upset......my money would be on a Masterpiece Shining Ultra Magnus.



3 comments:

  1. while the comic coloured one is nice, i'm not a huge marvel guy either, and the blue looks bad on it for me, so he's an easy pass. but for once in the mp line, the original hasbro version is good enough for me. Plus being a gift from my wife...can't trade him in now lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't have a desire for the comic version, myself. When it was first released a few years ago, the only thing about it that interested me about it was the crown, but even now, I don't really think it's that important. The flame sword is pretty neat looking, I suppose. I've been big on getting the Masterpiece figures that I want as they are first released. The figures, so far, have all been spectacular, so I haven't suffered from buyer's remorse. And with the way that the prices seem to skyrocket on them nowadays, it saves a lot of heartache. Then again, Takara has gotten better about adding production runs. Still, I'd rather not take the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, there's even a comic. They pulled out all the stop on this one, I guess, which figures since he's a favorite character of many.

    ReplyDelete